Thursday, January 3, 2008

'Greening' my diet

One of my new year resolutions is to be vegetarian at least once a week. In fact.. the long term (ideal) plan is to go full-fledged vegetarian in 5 years.

Thinking of gg vegetarian not only for vanity reasons. some interesting well-referenced facts from govegan.com :
  • 2006 UN report: Raising animals for food, the report said, is “one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems"
  • more than 70 percent of the grains and cereals we grow go to farmed animals
  • fish on fish farms must be fed 5 pounds of wild-caught fish to produce one pound of farmed fish flesh
  • An area of rainforest the size of seven football fields is destroyed every minute to make room for grazing cattle, but each vegetarian saves 1 acre of trees every year
  • You save more water by not eating pound a beef than you do by not showering for an entire year
Of course, the biggest reason for me to go vegetarian is that the world is running out of fish. then you may ask why don't I just stop eating seafood and continue guzzling meat. well, for the simple and not very well known reason (proven by the exclamation on my brother's face) that the use of fish meal in animal feed is one of the contributing factors of overfishing.

I'm sure there are people like me who know how bad meat eating is for the environment and want to change their diet, but we just can't bear to give it up.. I have to admit that even though I'm not a big fan of meat, its been hard for me even to go vegetarian once a week - especially when I meet friends to eat out at least once a day. Reminder to self: don't go to Adam Road Food Market on my veg-day. No vegetarian options AT ALL. Well, alternatively I can opt to eat meats and fish that have been farmed in a environmentally friendly manner. but.. seriously in Singapore the consumer awareness is just not there. and when pple don't demand for such information, no one bothers to advertise it.

Guess I'll just have to stick to the vegetarian diet.

Baby steps man.. baby steps.



4 comments:

~mantamola~ said...

Going veg diet doesn't mean cut out meat totally. Whenever possible, max the veg and minimise or don't opt any meat when ordering your food in food court, hawkwer centre or restaurant. You can still go out with friends for lunch oe dinner and still keeping your green diet plan. :-)

I've done that...

peizee said...

but I want to cut out meat totally. :) sooner or later. thanks for the input tho.

juanicths said...

am impressed by you resolution girl! *kowtows*

would love to say that I am joining you in this but love my meat too much to cut it out entirely! Will however cut down on the meat guzzling ^^

peizee said...

easy to say.. hard to do man.. i love my meat too! *sobz* hahaha.