Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Medicinal Plants of Singapore?

One of my best takeaways from my Alaska trip was how I learnt from my friend to identify plants around us that could be used to make tea to cure illnesses. Like when I was having a bad flu, she showed me how to make yarrow tea. And it was so easy, just pluck leaves from one of the yarrow (which is a weed growing all over the place), put it in a cup, pour hot water, and let it simmer for 10-15 min. And it worked really fast too. I was in cold sweat just minutes after drinking it.

Now that I'm back in Singapore and having a cold again, I find it sad that I can't do the same here- just coz I don't have the knowledge of my own region's herbs. I can't help looking out at the field of grasses behind my house and think: hmm.. i'm sure there's a cold remedy somewhere out there. yes i know fedac and clarinase are easy to get.. natural living is good la.

So here's asking if anyone knows of any good books that has some common medicinal plants that can be found in Singapore and the region. With good photos of plants and its medicinal uses. So far all i've found online is this book: 'Medicinal Plants of Asia and the Pacific' by Christophe Wiart. Don't you find it ironic that its an Angmohs writing the book. hmm..

4 comments:

~mantamola~ said...

You may try "A GUIDE TO MEDICINAL PLANTS" that published by Singapore Science Centre covers common medicinal plants that can be found locally.

peizee said...

cool. ok thanks. i'll go check it out

the worm said...

My grandma used to tell me stories about this weed she used to cure my auntie of some ailment. Like seek all sorts of doctors' help but only the weed worked.

And my grandma makes her own herbal concoction with some plants. One is know for miracle cure. She likes this plant a lot.

I think the older generation would be familiar with this. We might need to have a record of all these, before they pass on, and take away with them the medicinal secrets of the weeds.

-shuyi-

peizee said...

true true.. then u go and collect those grandmother medicinal stories lor. i'll be the first to buy your book! :)